- Herbivores: eating leaves, buds, berries,
shrubs in the summer and tree bark
during winter months.
- Active all year, however, during extremely cold weather bouts porcupines will restrict their activities to small areas.
- Dens in burrows or on top of magpie nests.
- Breed in fall and early winter.
- Young are born April and May.
- Porcupines cannot throw their quills.
- Cause serious damage to trees, stripping off tree bark that often results in the trees mortality. Most active in winter months.
- Will quill dogs and sometimes-curious cattle to protect themselves.